Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Everything Changes in a Heartbeat

"Life is one of those precious fleeting gifts, and everything can change in a heartbeat.”

SO TRUE! We went to the doctor today and got to hear Sillababy's heartbeat! It was absolutely amazing. I asked Dr. Richman if I could record it and he said "Well, let me make sure I can find it first. Sometimes it takes a little while." He put this cold gel stuff on my lower abdomen and then as soon as he placed the dobbler there, we heard it immediately! He said "Well, that was quick!" And Josh and I got so excited!! We recorded it, and I'm trying to figure out how to get it posted on here. When I do, you can hear the heartbeat, really fast and strong. Then I laugh and the noise is all loud and scratchy. Haha. Then my doctor says "It's official!" I had a lot of trouble not laughing. It was so awesome and so cool. We were talking on the way home and it definitely feels more real now. I almost cried a little and I'm still kind of feeling overwhelmed and like I might cry.

And I know, a million women have a million babies every year, but ... no one has ever had this one. God is forming this little baby in me especially for us. And he's using some of Josh and some of me to make the baby. It's just so incredible. I definitely didn't think being pregnant would be anything like what it has been so far. And I definitely still freak out a bit when I think that I'm going to have a little person in my arms in six and a half months. But I trust the Lord and I trust Josh and really that's all that matters.

On a bit of a different note, I also have to say a little something about my doctor. I love him. He has this kind of dirt-hole looking office and when you go up to the door all the letters are falling off and it looks kind of scary. They don't have an actual room for weighing and blood pressure. The scale is in the bathroom. It does not look very inviting and the first time I went, I was a little nervous. Until I met Dr. Richman. First, he's so laid-back and whatever about things, which really appeals to me. He doesn't try to fill space with small talk or anything. And he's hilarious. Today I said "I called my primary care physician about getting a flu shot and they said they need a note from you." He rolled his eyes and said "They do NOT need a NOTE from me. They know that. Pregnant or not, everyone gets a flu shot. I'll give you a note, but they're just being ridiculous." His note says "Katrina is 12 weeks pregnant. She may get the seasonal and swine flu shot as needed." He paused and added, "Pregnancy does not effect this." Hahaha! He was actually so frustrated with the stupidity of the PCP that he misspelled "seasonal" about three times. I asked a few other questions and most of his answers were things like "Just do what you normally do. Listen to your body. Don't go play flag football or soccer where you could get hit in the stomach, but don't let those books or other people scare you. Don't listen to any of them." He's so great. Especially with this being my first pregnancy, I tend to freak out a little when I read something like - don't sleep on your back. What if I roll over in my sleep?! Dr. Richman was so cool about it and puts me at such ease. I'm really glad he's going to be the one delivering our little Sillababy.

So now ... picture updates! Here I am at 12 weeks. Honestly I don't know if my organs are moving around and this is a baby bump, or if I ate too many brownies at work today, but I'd like to say it's the baby. And Josh's beard is growing faster than his hair. In a month, he's going to be a mountain man!! He's trying to think of a good way to utilize his beard for his Halloween costume.

Love,
Mommy and Daddy Silaman

1 comment:

  1. you both bring tears to my eyes. this will be one of the most exciting times of your lives! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete