Sunday, March 21, 2010

Flipping Babies

So yesterday we went to the hospital for my doctor to do an external cephalic version to try and get Sillbaby to flip. First, they gave me an IV, which was more uncomfortable than I thought it would be!! Then we waited forever and a doctor came in to do a sonogram and see how my little man was positioned in my belly. They said that he is a complete breech, which means his knees are bent and his butt is down and his head is up above my belly button. Well, I could have told them that! Haha! Then Dr. Richman came in and he was so nice. He told me it takes 30 seconds to a minute and that while one doctor held the sonogram on me so they could watch Sillababy move, he would hold the baby's head and another doctor would hold the baby's bottom. Then they would work together to try and turn him. The doctors all seemed to think it would be successful, saying that the baby is about 6.5 pounds so he's got plenty of fluid and room to move, my placenta is in a good place for it, he was positioned in a way that makes the turn easy, and I'm thin and my doctor's success rate is better on thinner women. So Josh held my hand and he was so sweet. He told me I was doing a good job, and we was rubbing my arm to help me relax, just like our birth instructor told us. The version HURT! It was not only an uncomfortable physical pain, but imagine someone pushing on your stomach - I was having trouble taking a good breath! I felt like I was kind of being punched in the stomach and the wind was getting knocked out of me! Well, Dr. Richman and Dr. Karina got Sillababy halfway and then he squirmed out of their grasp. They gave me a minute to catch my breath and calm down a little and gave it another try. Right at the same spot, Sillababy just would not turn any further, so Dr. Richman decided it was best to let him stay how he is. We made an appointment for a C-Section, so I'll be delivering on April 5 at 9:30 in the morning. After the version attempt was done, they hooked a fetal monitor around my stomach to observe his heartbeat for about 45 minutes to make sure he was okay. If he went into any large amount of stress or if his heart rate had dropped or anything, they would have to perform an emergency C-Section. Sillaboy did a great job, though! He was a little stressed at first - who wouldn't be! - but he calmed down very quickly and the nurses told me that he was a very happy baby.

I was weepy for a while after, and I still am a little bit, partially because I had hoped it would work, but partially because I felt so bad for my son. It was a hard day for him and he's just so sweet. Our birth class instructor has told us that sometimes babies don't turn and after they are delivered, the doctors see that the umbilical cord is too short. There are lots of reasons babies don't turn and sometimes the baby knows it's not supposed to. Josh and I are very much at peace about him being breech. He is comfortable and happy and he lets me know that all the time with his little wiggles and kicks. We are so excited to meet him on April 5 and so glad that God is sovereign over my pregnancy and little Sillaboy. God is holding him just the way He wants him to be positioned and that sounds just great to us!

On another note, Josh can't wait to cut his hair! But it also seems strange. It's been so long - the time and his locks! - that it will be odd for him to not have the long hair anymore. We've both been used to tugging on it and running our hands through it and measuring it, it will be odd when it's not there anymore. What a great bonding experience his hair has been for us! Every time I see people, they comment on my belly and want to feel it (which I don't mind!), and Josh has had similar experience! People are always asking about his hair and wanting to touch his beard. In the past few weeks, his hair and beard have started to get uncomfortable, right about the same time my big belly is driving me crazy! And yet, for both of us it's going to be very strange to not have it anymore. Well, now that I've talked about it, here are the pics we took today. Keep us in your prayers!!
Love, Mommy and Daddy Sillaman

No comments:

Post a Comment